June 16, 2010

Maps

Julia Blog Overload.

I am in love with this map created by Famille Summerbelle.


I find maps fascinating (as well as 13 inch biceps..ahem). Something about being able to see how far one place is from another, and being able to imagine taking a journey to a faraway place. One of my favorite parts of Lord of the Rings is the maps that Tolkien drew of Middle Earth. Every time the Fellowship travels to a new place, I turn to the maps in the front or back of the book, find the spot, and trace with my finger how they got there.

I like the details on maps too. This particular map (find it here) differentiates each country, and even the oceans, not by color, or by the mountains in the area, but by animals. A fresh focus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another character trait I must have passed on to you. I LOVE studying maps, especially during long road trips. I always want to leave the boring interstate and drive through the small towns, but your Dad won't hear of that. Well, I must admit, I'm not the best map-reader so I'd just get us lost.

Followers